What Are The Different National Certifications for Massage Therapy?


Each state has different regulations about what training or certification massage therapists need in order to practice in that state. Requirements for training hours vary widely.  However, there are certifications available that are accepted nationally.


NCETMB, NCETM National Massage Certification NCETMB, NCETM & MBLEx Practice Exams


Obtaining a national certification ensures that your competence as a massage therapist will be recognized in every state and that you have passed the required coursework and examinations. It also serves to maintain a high standard of ethics in the profession. The national certification is provided by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB). The NCBTMB offers two certifications, the National Certificate Examination for Therapeutic Massage (NCETM) and the National Certificate Examination for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCETMB). You will need to check which one your state accepts. However, it is important to note that the national certificate does not take the place of a state- or local-issued license. You will still need to obtain the appropriate license in order to practice in the area where you reside.


Most states accept the NCBTMB certification as proof that you have completed all the requirements to get a license. This means that with a national certification you will not need additional training hours. You may still be required to meet other requirements, however, such as a criminal background check. Even if you live in a state where certification and licensure are not required, obtaining a NCBTMB certificate is recommended since an increasing number of states are adopting regulatory laws to govern the practice of massage therapy.


When moving to a different state you will need to compare the hours of training you completed with the requirements of your new state. If the hours are the same, or exceed the requirements, you will be able to use your original certification in the new state. If they are lower than the requirements, you will need to complete certain steps in order to be certified in the new state.


Need to take a

NCETMB, NCETM & MBLEx Practice Exams?